Friday, June 27, 2008

Goddamn Thieves

Several weeks ago, I requested my free credit report online. Freecreditreport.com, run by Experian (the fucking crooks), demanded my credit card number before I could even look at my credit report. Smelling a rat, I carefully reviewed everything I was looking at to make sure I wasn't going to be roped in to some sort of fee or membership. As far as I could tell, nothing. The credit card number was just in case I felt like paying them for some reason.

Bullshit.

Over a week ago, I received an email telling me of a change in my credit rating. I emailed freecreditreport.com to ask them if I was being charged for this service. Of course I fucking was. $14.95 a month for NOTHING!

So, I emailed them back demanding that they immediately cancel my "membership." They complied just a little too fast, like they know they're doing something fucking illegal fast.

I'll be damned if I'm letting this go. The FTC and possibly the Consumerist are going to hear about this shit. I wonder how much money Experian is stealing from unwitting customers and doing it through the federally mandated free credit report no less.

Fuck. Them.

Update

Consumerist's already got the scoop, of course. Apparently, Experian is deliberately swindling people, yay! They have a domain: freecreditreport.com. They don't tell people that you have to pay for their bullshit service, until you start seeing those charges on your credit card statement, yay! And state agencies, not the FTC (that useless piece of shit), are the only ones starting to call out Experian on its bullshit. Fantastic.

And, by the way, here is the only way to get your real free credit report. Learn from my being a victim of highway robbery.

No comments: